Monday, August 6, 2007

Lumos Proposal Ideas


HULLO anyone out there who is going to LUMOS or thinking about it... *g* I want to discuss a couple of things. First off, please skip on over to bekkio's LJ for a quick poll on submitting a proposal for Lumos here. Next, because I don't have enough to do already, I really do want to submit a proposal for a panel or roundtable. One thing missing from all the lovely programs I attended at TWH was something truly interesting about Femslash or anything genderqueer in our fandom. It's no secret that the (born) male characters get a lot more attention in fanon, and arguably in canon. But Femslash is still a strong faction, and is often the place where girl/girl relationships get the spotlight. On a similar note, how fun is it to write/draw HP chars as a different gender than the one we assume? It's liberating, and it allows us to explore parts of characters' (and our own) identities and situations that we can't do while writing canon. I have several ideas swimming around in my head, and I just need a little grounding.I'm all talk and ideas here - I'd love to meet up with a few other interested parties to really put something together and submit it. Something with substance, beyond "woot!femslash!". I'm posting this public if you'd like to rec this entry to someone you know has been talking about the same thing, or perhaps already has plans to do just this. Thanks, y'all!

19 comments:

newnewsex said...

You have to do it, because if I was going to get to go, and it looks like I'm not going to be able to :(, I was going to submit one on the same sort of subject. I agree that the subject has been neglected and should be adressed more throughly and count me in for sponsorship!!You go!!T

aonversadamcria84yahoocom said...

I would love to work with you on a panel! I'll need to really think on what I would contribute, and it would probably be more femmeslash related, but if you'd like my help I'd be more than willing! *__*

dooooodlings7190 said...

hey hon, join lumpsfanartists yes, lumps! we just had a chat this afternoon on Y!M.Glockgal, Sherant, Tbranch, Kungfooqueen, and cathybites are all going.

ptgmkp98yahoocom said...

This is going to be so awesome. Thanks, Hill! hehe..lumps.

ptgmkp98yahoocom said...

This is going to be so awesome. Thanks, Hill! hehe..lumps.

vinyokadaesxl said...

So sad you won't be going! I will at least keep you on a list of consultants. ;) Thanks.

choihkmc95yahoocom said...

I will be there if you're going to be showing pics of Snape in lingerie. K, you already knew that, didn't you? *g*

stormclouds13 said...

Yay! I was hoping you'd be game. Give it some thought, and maybe we can brainstorm together on some post, or on Y!M.

cosfunedinilbur said...

LMAO! If there's not a presentation on genderplay in some manner at Lumos, I'll be v. disappointed.

cosfunedinilbur said...

LMAO! If there's not a presentation on genderplay in some manner at Lumos, I'll be v. disappointed.

shrihmarclals said...

OMG! Soooooo much icon love! *dies from teh pretteh* Why do I have no icons of Snape in women's knickers???

japanimerulez6935 said...

What a great idea. I'd like to contribute something, but I don't know how much eloquent waxing I really have in me. :)An illustration? Visual aid? A big huge Snape N. Furter poster?

aronosn7 said...

Well, the popularity of genderfuck is an interesting topic. I mean, in a fandom that allows such things as genderswitching, it's interesting to see just how popular it is, although I think more on the M2F side than F2M. I've written a couple of genderfuck stories, so I could probably talk about the whole genderswitch phenom in fanfiction, which also ties in with crossdressing and 'boys in skirts' which is a somewhat separate category from pure crossdressing.

itdieeed said...

why is it that we like turning men into women, and yet female characters aren't as popular as male? A Paradox, indeed.

mialulsm said...

It looks like we will be going to Lumos. I would definately be up for that.

xcrlh said...

*snigger* When it comes time for visual aides, I'll be sure to track you down. ;)

bellexinakaryahoocom said...

I'm so glad to hear you two will be going to Lumos!! Yay :)

abrutooacle7 said...

lol...hmm. The bulk of the stuff I've read involves men dressing/passing as women, then later in another scene there is some interesting and pervy (good-pervy) man-sex. I think it has everything to do with the fact that women who love men make up a majority of our fandom. While the aforementioned scenarios entertain me to no end, I yearn for the occasional gem of a story where a male characters is completely switched into a female, and has f/f relationships. My favorites still are Tonks stories where she goes back and forth between genders. If I were more of the academic type I might have something further to say about gender, etc... Ah, it's all so interesting!

rainyp9nploma8a said...

I'd be happy to be on a roundtable or panel with you on femmeslash/femslash; I'm so glad that I noticed this post of yours as I obviously need to bust my fanny to write up an abstract for the paper I want to present, which is *so* not written. But there's a deadline. DEADLINE!:cough: Count me in. Something in regards to having F/F relationships mirroring the gender equality as so often manifested in more 'traditional' M/M slash, and how the magical world envisioned in JRK's books allows far more leeway than in other fandoms.The psychology behind all of it is compelling enough to get a panel together, I would hope!